The museum is located in the former Tulha dos Cabrais in Rua Pedro Álvares Cabral. It is an educational museum in which we accompany the River Zêzere from its source to its mouth. In each stretch of river we see its most common fauna and flora. It has a temporary exhibition room.
Exhibition organised in cooperation with Porto Seguro (Brazil), which donated the pieces, located in the Old Town Hall of Belmonte (Largo do Pelourinho). This exhibition includes various objects related to the everyday life and ceremonies of the indigenous tribes of the Coast of the Discoveries, from 1500 to the present,. Due to the fact that Pedro Alvares Cabral was born in Belmonte, this exhibition was needed to supplement the information on display at the Museum of the Discoveries.
Manuela Justino Art Gallery
Manuela Justino was born in Castelo Novo and considered one of the most original artists of the late 20th century. She conveyed the link between different artistic scales and territories as a painter and sculptor. The gallery is her artistic memory and a new feature in the history and culture of the historical village of Castelo Novo.
Legend of the Monastery
As the story goes, the Knights Templar, before leaving Castelo Novo at the hand of a young sergeant, hid the image of the Senhora do Mosteiro (Our Lady of the Monastery) in the trunk of a chestnut tree close to the old monastery. Years later, a shepherd who was walking by this place had a vision of the Lady, which was the image of the Saint hidden in the chestnut tree. That same day, an old pilgrim arrived in the village, who asked the then-alcaide, D. Pedro, to allow him to spend the rest of his days in the monastery. D. Pedro not only granted his request, but he ordered a new monastery to be built in the place were the Saint’s image appeared. That location still exists today: the Chapel of São Brás, at the entrance to the Historical Village.
Town walls and gates
Although it dates back at least to the 12th century, the outer wall is the result of extensions by King Afonso III and/or King Dinis (1248-1325). It underwent considerable remodelling in the reign of King Fernando, with the construction of walls and towers. Over the centuries it has undergone more or less extensive repairs and it is therefore difficult to date its different elements accurately. In spite of the demolition that took place in the 19th and 20th centuries, the old town centre of Trancoso is still surrounded almost completely by impressive medieval walls. In addition to some of the towers, we can still see three of the four main gates (Portas d’El Rei, Portas do Prado and Porta do Carvalho) and two secondary gates (Porta da Traição and Olhinho do Sol) and a hatch (Boeirinho). The Portas d’El Rei and Portas do Prado gates are the most impressive as they are bordered by two robust towers. Carvalho Gate is topped by a sculptured figure that many believe to be the legendary knight João Tição. The walls were classified as a National Monument in 1921.