Points of interest
12 tesouros emblemáticos repletos de história e património; paisagens surpreendentes, que despertam os sentidos e conquistam os visitantes.
Former Town Council
This building is typical of the type of architecture used to built town halls and is located in Largo da Praça: It testifies to the administrative and judicial independence that Marialva enjoyed in the 16th and 17th centuries. It has two storeys with two rooms each and is an irregular rectangle in shape. The main façade displays a seal and the stairs to the second floor. It also bears a shield with Portugal’s coat of arms. It is thought to have been built in the 17th century and was used as a primary school in the 19th and 20th centuries.
Old Chapel of Senhora do Socorro
Baroque chapel built in 1692 by private initiative. and under private administration. It has a single nave with an axial portal where there is a long inscription related to its institution, over which is a cornice that supports a window with a tapered cut at the top for more light. After a long period of abandonment and lying in ruins, it was rebuilt in the 1940s, with an added storey for habitational use; on the ground floor, a shop was installed. These works profoundly altered the volume and spatial organisation of the temple, but one can still recognise the old typology, as the elegant corners in the form of Tuscan pilasters are retained; inside, only the basin for holy water remains.
Former Town Hall
Romanesque building, once serving political and administrative purposes It may have been built in 1290 by order of King Dinis and was then altered by King Manuel I as a mark of the new charter granted to Castelo Novo. On his order, the royal coat of arms, the cross of the Order of Christ and the armillary sphere were included in the building. The jail was probably located on the ground floor and the town council on the first, until 1835, when the municipality was closed and attached to Alpedrinha.
Former Town Hall and Prison
Linhares da Beira
Two-storey building decorated with the coat of arms of Queen Maria (1777-1816) sits among other municipal constructions like the forum and pillory. In medieval times, it was a prison, as shown by th bars on the lower left window. This is a two-storey building. The ground floor opens into a hallway with two side rooms and there are two staircases to the upper floor. This floor has a great hall and two other rooms. It was once a school and teacher’s house and now houses Linhares Parish Council and contains some decorative pieces of historical interest.